Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Appreciation of My Work

Every time someone shows interest in my book, 'Revenge Unknown', I get an excited thri8ll.  I worked very hard on the story.  Every time I thought it was finished, I would read through it again, checking for typos and find ways to improve on the story.

For me, the hardest part to revise and edit was the dialog.  I found I had whole chapters of almost straight dialog.  I had to find ways to add descriptions and break up the constant dialog without being too distracting.

I also learned to not be too descriptive.  For one, it can be hard to find the right words without becoming too wordy.  The reader also needs to be able to use his or her own imagination.  Too many details become limiting.

One of the most headache inducing problems I had was having to convert colloquial terms into more universal terms.

The story itself was easy to write, flowing imagination to pen with so little effort my hand would be cramped,  my handwriting barely more than a scribble in an attempt to keep up with the flow of thoughts.

The revision process of turning a story into a readable book was a much more difficult and lengthy process and every person that takes the time out o their lives to read my work has my undying appreciation.


No comments:

Post a Comment