Thursday, May 9, 2013

Never Ending Revision- Beach Dream

So I went through some of my unfinished works to see what I could work on next and I came across a short story I wrote a while back, called Beach Dream.  I have a physical copy of it printed out and chilling in my 'writing binder', but I can't seem to find an electronic copy (even though I obviously had one at some point and time).  No biggy, I happen to love typing, so this is a fun excuse for a lot of typing.
Of course, as I type I must read and as I read I find so many typos and mistakes, as well as parts that need serious revision.  Sadly this was a story I was hoping to have ready for the public soon because it is a completed work.  Or mostly completed.
Funny how our first drafts can seem like sheer brilliance.  I remember the first draft of Revenge Unknown, I was so proud of it, I felt like the scenes were so raw and emotion invoking.  They were perfection in one shot, I thought.  I mean, everyone who read it told me it was good.  That is until one guy read it and said to me "it's a good first draft".
I was highly offended of course.  I mean, who's this one guy to not recognize a great piece of literature??  Then I put the book away for a while, got distracted with life, and eventually came back to it a few months later.  And rereading it, I still felt that it was a great story and a good read, but needed a lot of work.  And so I worked on it, and worked on it, and worked on it.  I think I have ten drafts of the same story.

So here I am, in the same place with Beach Dream.  The story is fun and exciting to read, but needs so much work, it's almost intimidating.  For now I will focus on getting it typed up, so I can become reacquainted with the story, then I will begin the revising process.

No comments:

Post a Comment